Thursday, March 08, 2007

To jog or not to jog…that is the question

The other day, I wrote about how much I love my newfound status as Mommy. And I do. I really, really do. There is, however, one small aspect of being Mommy I could do without: all the extra pregnancy pounds that just keep hanging around.

You see, even though I'm breastfeeding and every other woman on earth seems to be able to eat whatever she wants and lose weight while nursing, for me, the number on the scale just keeps going up and up and up…

So, here's my question for all you mommies out there. Is it really true that when you do aerobic exercise, lactic acid builds up in your breastmilk so your baby can't eat it? Because I can't spend one more day looking in the mirror and seeing those 20 extra pounds staring back at me. Something needs to be done, and fast. And the various different parenting websites I've consulted don't seem to be able to decide. Some say you can exercise as much as you want, some say you can't do any aerobic exercise until after you stop nursing.

Anybody have any personal wisdom to share? Because it's supposed to be really nice out this weekend and I want to go jogging!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Denice, give yourself a break! You're only one month postpartum. It took me at least a good four to six months to get back to where I was before I was pregnant.

The best breastfeeding website I've ever found is:
www.kellymom.com

There is information on there that specifically addresses your question.
Jody

Cherri B said...

I agree. You won't see dramatic results of weightloss from breastfeeding until you are about 3 months post partum. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, girl! And yeah, give yourself a break! You can't do everything overnight - another lesson of mommyhood.

mad muthas said...

why not stick to walking for a bit - not particularly from the point of view of weight loss cos - c'mon! really, cut yourself some slack! - but just cos it's nice to get out in the fresh air, pushing the baby, get out and see other human beings, etc. and they say it's every bit as good as running for fitness. also, giving birth is pretty hard on your body - be nice and gentle with it!
x

Redneck Mommy said...

I jogged and my kids got fat as little hogs on my milk....I don't know if that helps.

Just remember, it took your body nine months to get to where it is, it should take about nine months to return...