Thursday, July 26, 2007

Four years and 30 pounds ago…



Today is hubby and my fourth anniversary. Four years of wedded bliss, filled with moving to Airdrie, buying 20 per cent of an independent newspaper, buying our first home, and best of all, having our first child.

It's been the best four years of my life, bar none.

Although, the three years we lived together prior to getting married were pretty damn awesome too. Which (awkwardly) brings me to today's topic: Is an anniversary less special when you've lived together before getting married?

Last year, a slightly more religious acquaintance of mine insinuated that since hubby and I had lived in sin for so long before we got married, our anniversary didn't really mean anything. That since it wasn't really the beginning of our life together, it wasn't really the celebration of anything other than "making it legal."

After I got over wanting throw her over the nearest cliff (which is pretty hard to find on the prairies), I started thinking about what she had to say. I mean, I guess, in a way, she was a teeny, tiny bit correct. Our wedding day was not the beginning of our lives together. But the more I thought about it, the more I thought it made the day MORE special, not less.

You see, by the time you've shared an abode with someone for three years, you've learned pretty much everything about them. You've moved past the "crazy in love" phase, and entered the "this is real life" phase. You know, the phase where you ask your sweetie why the hell he has to take his socks off and just leave them on the floor in front of the couch, and he answers by saying: "I don't know. Why the hell does it take you an hour to get ready to go anywhere?"

We knew each other's likes and dislikes, pet peeves and peccadillos. We knew each other inside and out, warts and all. We knew better than a brand new couple exactly what we were getting ourselves into. And we still stood up in front of all of our family and friends and spilled tears of happiness as we promised to love each other until death do we part.

Now, come on, isn't that romantic?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't let anyone diminish your special day. It was a wonderful memory a something you'll always hold dear to your heart.

Congrats and Happy Anniversary!

Jacquie said...

Wow that was pretty ballsy of that woman to say that! Can we say RUDE!! I guess I can join you in that living in sin line ;-) we also lived together before we got married.

Happy Anniversary to you guys. Have a great day!

Jenifer said...

Absolutely, my hubby and I had lived together for 2 years and my daughter was 2 months old when we got married!

If you are still willing to marry someone after living with them.... THAT'S SPECIAL.... it also probably decreases you chance at divorce !!!