Friday, May 07, 2010

The Best Cookies Ever! Or, please stop with the snow…

Okay, so several days ago I promised to give you my cookie recipe, and then promptly forgot. I'm sorry. I've been very busy this week blowing my nose and whining about the damn snow THAT JUST WON'T STOP. Seriously. It's May now, and it's been snowing all week. I've about had enough. My couped up 3-year-old who loves to go outside had enough two months ago. We have not been fun to be around this week.

But today the sun is shining and my head has stopped producing tons of snot, and I'm finished whining. For the time being.

So without any further ado, here is the recipe the world's best cookies:

Chocolate Drop Cookies

2 cups sugar
6 tbsp cocoa
1/2 cup margarine or butter
1/2 cup milk (I use rice milk now, and it works just fine!)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
3 cups instant oats

Combine sugar, cocoa, butter and milk in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Add vanilla. Remove from heat and stir in coconut and oats. Drop by teaspoonful onto wax paper until chilled.

That's the official recipe that I got out of the 4-H cookbook a zillion years ago. Here are some things that I learned over the years that make them turn out better:

1. Make sure that you bring the mixture to a boil over low heat. Very low heat. Like, the very lowest setting on your stovetop. It takes forever for it to melt together and boil, but if you do it too high it scorches the mixture and then your cookies taste burnt.

2. Toast the coconut first. Spread it out on a cookie sheet and put it under the broiler for a minute or two, just long enough to turn it a little bit brown. Trust me.

No comments: