Saturday, August 08, 2009

Why didn't someone tell me??

One of the very best things about having a kid who goes from not speaking, to speaking full sentences in mere weeks, (besides "OH MY GOD, I CAN'T BELIEVE SHE'S FINALLY TALKING TO ME!!!) is that you can ask her about the little things she used to scream about but couldn't explain.

For example, for a very long time now, Gracie has not let me give her a kiss. (Or greatly protested when I managed to land a stealthy smooch on her cheek, which was often). Before she could talk, she would let out a howl and push me away, which, I have to admit, hurt my feelings just a teeny, tiny bit. And then, once she started to talk, it turned into NO THANK YOU MOMMY! And finally, ended up NO KISSES, JUST HUGS PLEASE MOMMY!

So yesterday, curiosity got the best of me. I just HAD TO KNOW why the kid didn't want me to kiss her. I mean, there had to be a good reason, right?

Me: "Can you tell me why you don't like it when Mommy gives you kisses?"

Gracie: "Your mouth smells bad Mommy."

Me: (Blink. Blink.) "Does my mouth always smell bad?"

Gracie: "No, just sometimes. Well, lots of sometimes."

Me: "If I go upstairs and brush my teeth, then can I give you kisses?"

Gracie: "YES!!!"

So, there you have it. Apparently I've been walking around with buzzard breath for years, and all of you wonderful people have been too nice to tell me to go and get a breath mint before the stench coming out of my mouth kills you.

Now if you will excuse me, I'm going to brush my teeth.

3 comments:

Jody Spark said...

LOL!!! I wish you would blog more often, Denice!

Anonymous said...

Hi Denice, Jody's Mom here! I echo Jody in LOL!! Too funny Denice, and how honest you are, good for you! What a darling you have, Jayne

Marlene said...

Too funny! I read this to Janet and she said "well, did Denice have bad breath when you worked with her?" Not that I remember - maybe I stink too! Marlene