Sunday, November 19, 2006

Keener!!!

Oh my god. I've turned into a Keener. You know, the brown-noser everyone in the class hated because she always had her hand up and answered all of the teacher's questions? That was me, yesterday, at our Childbirth Essentials class. I was completely obnoxious. I even made a joke about the Scientology silent births when the instructor was talking about not being afraid to make as much noise as you want.

I sure have changed since going to high school. Back then I knew a lot of the answers, but I would have NEVER put up my hand -- that would have involved actually speaking in front of the whole class. And what if I was wrong and everybody laughed at me? Nope, better just to keep my mouth shut.

But this weekend, I just couldn't help myself. She asked the questions, and I just opened my mouth and answered. Out loud!

And apparently all my reading has paid off. I knew pretty much everything she had to tell us, except for all the relaxation techniques. So really, I wasted a Friday night and all day Saturday, not to mention $110. I think it was worth it for hubby though. While I've been busy reading up on childbirth to prepare myself for the very slim chance that hubby might freak out and I'll be doing it all by myself, hubby has remained blissfully unaware of episiotomies and emergency c-sections. I think it was a bit of an eye-opener for him. But I also think it wasn't as bad as he thought it would be, and so I am confident that I will have him there with me the whole time. Yay!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK - Ray in prenatal classes was a joke. He was there for the social aspect of meeting other guys to joke with. When the time came he was dilligent in the hospital but scared out of his mind. If I asked him to do something he'd do it, but he didn't know what else to do. Then cam the inevitable emergence c-section. He was in the operating room, but almost passed out from the smell of burning flesh when they made the incision. I could have cared less - I wasn't in pain anymore and the baby would be here any minute!

Other than that he did amazingly well. Then he went home and threw up...

Tracy

Redneck Mommy said...

Well good for both of you for surviving your prenatal classes. Can't say the same for the hubs and I. We ran into my uncle and his wife who were expecting around the same time, (and my uncle was unaware of his 20 yr old neice's pregnancy) and we hi-tailed it out of class!

We were such pansies back then!

But he did well at the birth. Who knew calving a calf and birthing a baby are relatively similar?

Bugger.

Denice said...

We're both farm kids, so yeah, there was a lot of that going on with us too. Nate's pulled a lot of calves, and I've had my hand up my fair share sheep's asses. So neither of us are squeamish about blood or mucus or any of that stuff. But Nate keeps maintaining that watching a cow giving birth and watching your wife giving birth are two very different things. I guess we'll see!

Cindy said...

I dont think I will be able to convince my hubby to go to a class, so he will be totally unaware of everything going on because he also refuses to read anything about it all (Maybe a little in denial?) Thankfully I am forcing my mother to come up here at least a week before I am due so she can take charge and Adam can stay the hell out of the way. ;)

Jenifer said...

I didn't take a class.... just read up on my own, and did fine. Of course my hubs is an EMT and trained to deliver babies, so he was ready to "catch". I have now been through it twice..... both times very very different, and each equally wonderful. Just be prepared things may not go exactly as you want them to, but that squirming, screaming, slippery, beet red with indignation, wonderful little creature that is the end result is what counts!!!