Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Busy Week. Very Busy Week.

What a crazy week since last I wrote!

Thursday afternoon: Told big client I'm pregnant - and he's not mad! Actually happy, because he wanted to go on a vacation. Told him I'm toying with the idea of not going back to the newspaper for a few years so I can stay home with baby and try to work from home, and he's very, very happy.

Friday Morning: Told big boss man at the newspaper that I'm pregnant. Asks if I will want a few weeks off or if I will come right back to work and bring baby with me. What do you think my answer was?

Friday Afternoon: Flooring place calls to say laminate flooring we ordered forever ago that was supposed to be delivered today - and have many people coming to install on Sunday - will not come in until Monday or Tuesday because there is nobody who can go into Calgary to pick it up. I ask if I can go to Calgary and pick it up myself. They say, "um, I guess so," so I MapQuest the place and Nate and I head to Calgary to pick it up. MapQuest sends us to a place that is NOT EVEN CLOSE to where we were supposed to be. Pissed off Denice stops at a gas station for a full Calgary map and very nice trucker guy spots us trying to figure out where the hell this place is. Laughs at our stupid MapQuest map and then actually shows us where to go. Find the place, go home, unload the heavy boxes ("um, I'm not sure I'm supposed to be lifting things this heavy honey" didn't work), then go back to work and get done all the things I was actually supposed to be doing this afternoon.

Saturday: Big family gathering in Vulcan. Lots of visiting, lots of cute little kids, lots of fun. Get home again at midnight - then spend the next two and a half hours moving everything in my office into the spare room so we can rip up the carpet before bed.

Sunday, 8 a.m.: Alarm clock goes off. Make mental note that I must not fall back asleep, as there are many things to do this morning before all the people show up at my house to help install laminate flooring. Just going to close my eyes and listen to the radio for 5 more minutes before I get up…

Sunday, 10:30 a.m.: Was that the doorbell? Oh god! It's 10:30!!!! Jump out of bed, get on clothes, run downstairs and answer the door. Look! Everybody's here! Didn't get to shower, brush my teeth, or anything of the sort. Luckily, there were so many people there to help, my services were largely not required. I made lunch and supper for them, and spent the rest of the time visiting with my mom and my mother-in-law. Flooring gets installed in every room upstairs, and it looks fabulous!!!!!

People don't leave until after midnight, and I'm so tired I go to bed without making our lunches for the next day. But that's okay, because Wednesday is the only day of the week that I absolutely have to be at the office at 9 a.m. to open, and it's summer so things aren't busy. If I'm a little bit late in the morning, it doesn't really matter…

Monday, 8:45 a.m.: Shit! I just remembered our receptionist is on holidays, and I have to be there to open in 15 minutes! My hair is still wet, I have no makeup on, I don't know what I'm going to wear, and I didn't make lunch yet!

Today: Pretty uneventful day at the newspaper - but another newspaper publisher heard through the grapevine that I am thinking about trying to work at home with baby, and asks if I could do all of his supplements. Then big client calls to say he's thinking that if I'm going to be more available, he will hire another sales person and double his output. I've been deathly afraid that if I quit the newspaper and try to work on my own, I'll never make as much money as I do now and I'll be plunging us into poverty - but maybe I'll do better than I think!!!

No comments: